Sunday, August 26, 2012

weekend update

We're about to start week two of school and hopefully I'll get a chance to interact more with the students.  My teacher said he wanted to plan more interventions into his lesson plans, so hopefully that will happen. This past Friday, we were at the office.  It was kind of exciting because I got to do a lot of things related to my project leader role.

Let's back up though to the beginning of the day.  We were doing PT officially for the first time.  We found a spot along the St. John's river that has the best view of Jacksonville.  Senior corps and staff got there a little early to get ready and as we're practicing, we see things in the river.  A woman was running by and said that they were dolphins! Sure enough, there were about seven dolphins swimming in the river.  It was so cool!  They were gone by the time the corps got there, but it was a great start to the day.

After PT, Abbi and I met and got ready for the training we were running that afternoon.  We worked until lunch and then I got ready for a conference call.  At 1:30, Jacqui and I had a conference call with Megan from HQ who is in charge of all of the social media for City Year.  She basically set us up for running the City Year JAX twitter account and eventually adding a blog to our site.  I'm excited because I'll be the one in charge of it all, with the help of Jacqui.

Once the conference call was over, I jumped right into the training that was going on.  The corps was learning how to do fluency interventions and run the Repeated Reading model.  Since I was the only one from staff and senior corps who had ever done Repeated Reading, I got to train the corps on how to do it! It was so cool and I realized how much I like trainings.  It reminds me a lot of all of the Org. Comm. classes I took at JMU.  At the end of the day, the corps was debriefing and they said how helpful the training was and how it was the favorite part of their day.  My PM and Abbi (the other PM) said I did a great job, which was awesome too.

After work, Ben (a CM on my team) and his parents invited the entire corps and staff out to dinner, their treat!  We went to this fried chicken restaurant where they brought out enough trays of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries, peas and rice to feed 25 people.  It was delicious and so much fun.  Ben's parents were so nice.  Jackson High School was playing Ben's high school in football that night, so we all headed to the game for a a little bit. Senior corps and staff left around halftime and headed downtown.  We went to this line dancing bar, which did not live up to it's potential.  They were playing country music and had a huge line dancing floor, but it was really empty.   We stayed for a couple of hours, but left around midnight.  Oh well, we'll try again another night.

Saturday, Joe and I spent the entire afternoon at the beach. It was the absolute perfect beach day.  It was 85 and sunny.   The water wasn't too warm or too cold, and was a little rough, which made it fun to swim in.  I could have stayed until dark.  We were both pretty sunburned and tired by the time we left, but I think we both would have been back today if it weren't for the clouds.  Overall, it was a pretty good weekend. Very laid back, but a lot of fun.

Apparently, we're supposed to get a big tropical storm tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes....

"There is no passion to be found in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."
-Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment